Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review: Goodbye to Yesterday by Wanda E. Brunstetter

Goodbye to Yesterday: Part 1 (The Discovery - A Lancaster County Saga)
By Wanda E. Brunstetter
Publication Date: February 1, 2013

About The Book:
Join Meredith and Luke Stoltzfus, an Amish couple who are faced with the greatest challenge of their young lives. Financial struggles. Arguments. A suspected pregnancy. A last-minute trip to Middlebury, Indiana. A deadly encounter at a Philadelphia bus station. Will their love and faith be enough to bring them back together again, against all odds?


My Thoughts:
This first installment of Brunstetter's new Amish series has a great deal of potential and will certainly leave you wanting to read to more.  Like many couples these days, Luke and Meredith are faced with some difficult decisions in a struggling economy and Luke must make a choice to learn a new trade skill.  This decision will take him away from home but afterwards is sure to enable him to better provide for his family.  However, Luke's bus trip to Indiana will challenge their faith and forever change their marriage.  Brunstetter is certainly off to a great start in developing an intriguing story here!  However, I am disappointed that this was so short....130 pages according the print edition's description but the Kindle version seems so much shorter.  It seems as though I no sooner got comfortable in this story and it was over.  In this short of a reading, I'm not sure there was really enough to make an honest opinion of my impression.  I am intrigued with the story line, but the characters weren't well developed and often times felt rather "flat".  As with any novel I read, I enjoy a great deal of descriptions.  I want to be able to close my eyes and imagine myself in that particular place at that particular moment, and with this I just wasn't able to do that (at least not until the last four pages or so).  The cliff-hanger was certainly surprising and I intend to read the rest of the series but for now I feel a bit cheated as a reader.  Rather than a six-part series perhaps three would have done this more justice.  Overall, I would have to give this a three and hope the next installment changes my opinion.

No comments :

Post a Comment